Brooder with no solid sides?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kchopper, May 19, 2010.

1. kchopper

kchopper Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Can I put chicks in a metal dog kennel that has no solid sides(all wire)? As long as it is in a room that's at 75 degrees with no drafts and with a heat lamp. Or is it necessary to have sides to hold the heat in? I noticed at my feed mill they had chicks in a similar set up. Thanks

2. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    how old are the chicks?

3. kchopper

kchopper Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I would be gettin day old chicks.

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    For day olds it needs to be 95, not 75. There's no reason you can't use such a crate... except, won't that fall out between the bars? Chicks at the feed store have how many to a crate? 25? They help keep each other warm. You can add card board to three of the outside walls to close it in more. I like one open side so's I can see them. My fourth side is plexi-glass.

Jenny

5. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    You can certainly use it. You need to make sure they have access to a spot that is 95 degrees, the whole room does not need to be kept at 75. I used a large wire dog crate myself. Some down-sides to it though, they can get out between the bars as little ones, they will kick shavings out like crazy and it can be hard to get ahold of them if they move all the way to the back corner. I covered all my sides with cardboard to help with the first two issues [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by