Brooder within coop already housing adult flock?

Yes to keeping them in the house. I bought our fencing at tractor supply it's the gauge used for pasture fencing. Let me know if you need a picture, the winter board and blind is still in place but I can take one from the inside. Everything comes out in two weeks- spring cleaning and a long awaited lime wash.

Last edited:
I believe I saw it mentioned that Lowes had ~~hardware cloth on discount. For 12 chicks, just get a large rubbermaid container and you could keep them in your barn. My new bought chicks and my newly hatched chicks are in a brooder in my coop and they are doing just fine. Now it could be my hatchery chicks are sharing something with my home flock, who knows??

If you do decide to Q for four to six weeks, also tend to your existing flock first,then the chicks. Clean and santize your shoes,clothes and hands before checking you existing flock. It's a pain, but it has kept my flock safe and I do the same for my aquarium as well-although it's a tad be easier to set up a hospital tank than Q pen. I was mighty glad the last time I finished tending to two flocks so far apart.

Back
Top Bottom