1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by homestead 101, Oct 16, 2016.

1. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    I would like some tips to improve this brooder

[​IMG]

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Unless you just have a couple chicks, that brooder is much too small. You can probably salvage it by adding another bin of the same size and connecting them end-to-end with a doorway, putting the food/water in the bin without the heat lamp. Chicks need a temperature gradient of at least 20 degrees to be able to regulate their own comfort...a heat lamp in that small of a bin will just turn it into an oven. By adding a second bin, you may be able to create the gradient but be sure to check before adding chicks. The second bin may require additional ventilation to accomplish it--depends on the ambient temps. If you adopt a different warming technique like "Mama Heating Pad"--search for the thread--you can achieve a temp gradient in a smaller container (depending on ambient temps), however you really do want at least 1 square foot of brooder space per chick to help prevent problem behaviors (such as pecking/cannibalism). As is, once you get a feeder/waterer in there, you will only have room for a few chicks.

Usually you want an "open" top (a mesh cover is desirable to keep the flyers contained) on a brooder so you can adjust the temp by being able to raise/lower the heat lamp. You can have a similar effect by switching out bulbs of different wattages, but that only allows a coarse adjustment...no fine tuning. Again, not an issue with MHP.

Having the door on the side instead of the top is a boon for taming chicks. Being able to reach in from the side to change food/water, handle chicks, offer treats instead of coming from above like a predator won't trigger their panic response as often.

3. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    @Jensownzoo gave you some great tips

4. homestead 101

Jan 31, 2016
    My heat lamp has a lower setting, there will only be 6 chicks in there at a time

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That Brooder seems to be too hot....Even six Chicks it wont be proper to brood in....Chicks need a warm spot and a cooler spot to get away from the heat....Put a thermometer in the brooder at the furthest point from the heat lamp at chick height...If it is higher than 85 or 90? That brooder will not be okay...you will kill the chicks...

Cheers!

6. homestead 101

Jan 31, 2016
    Thats what I am doing when I get home I will let u know how it goes

7. chickens really

Awesome...I will help as much as you want me too?

Cheers!

8. homestead 101

Jan 31, 2016
    I just did that and the far corner at chick height was 75 degrees, I think it will work

9. chickens really

Really keep an eye on it...Plus remember the furthest should be cooler than 75...imagine the temp then, right under it..? It has to be exact or no point in getting them...If too hot, they will die...If too cold, they will die...
    I am really only trying to help...I believe the reason you started the thread in the first place....

Well good luck...

Cheers!

10. homestead 101

Jan 31, 2016
    Okay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by