Brooder

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MountainChickenMama, Apr 14, 2011.

1. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Questions about the brooder:

1) Do you have to put rocks/stones in the waterer so they won't drown?

2) Should I make the feed smaller by grinding in up? And is medicated ok?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I only use rocks when I have game chicks in the brooder, but it doesn't hurt and if it give you peace of mind, go for it.

Chick start is already ground pretty fine, is that what you have? Because you should [​IMG]

Medicated is fine, but not necessary.

3. MountainChickenMama

Jul 12, 2010
    Quote:I only use rocks when I have game chicks in the brooder, but it doesn't hurt and if it give you peace of mind, go for it.

Chick start is already ground pretty fine, is that what you have? Because you should [​IMG]

It is for sure chick starter, but it seems rather big to me??? I remember when I got my first chickens last year, I had to grind it up finer, but wasn't sure if that was necessary

4. debilorrah

It is for sure chick starter, but it seems rather big to me??? I remember when I got my first chickens last year, I had to grind it up finer, but wasn't sure if that was necessary

It sounds like crumbles. I used that once but didn't care for it. I would smash it down some. I prefer the finer mash as opposed to crumbles. I hatch ducks too and they have a harder time with the crumbles.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I do put marbles in the water for about a week.

I also grind the chick starter for about 2 weeks. I agree it is probably not necessary but it makes ME feel better. [​IMG]

Edited to add: I prefer using medicated feed for brooder raised chicks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  6. debilorrah

Quote:Honestly that is what matters. Hatching can be nerve wracking, and if silly unnecessary steps make us feel better, go for it!

7. MountainChickenMama

Jul 12, 2010
    Thanks so much, I will grind it finer for my well being, LOL....Wonder where I can find some marbles by tomorrow, LOL

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Honestly that is what matters. Hatching can be nerve wracking, and if silly unnecessary steps make us feel better, go for it!

I'll take any peace of mind I can get with these guys. I didn't do it before but this last batch worried me. They are like swarming pirahna when they see food and I was sure they would choke. [​IMG]

I have never seen such wild chicks. They even tried to kick my adult roo through the brooder wire. [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

Quote:Lowe's, Michael's, the toy section at Target......

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Don't tell me you've lost your marbles. [​IMG]

Do you have potted plants with decorative stones or glass? Those will work too.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by