Brooder

Discussion in 'Quail' started by huntinwidow, May 19, 2011.

1. huntinwidow

huntinwidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Warrior Alabama
    My Coop
    Expecting GG bobs to begin hatching on Tue. Got some tubs to use for brooders. Here's my question: Found red tinted ones leftover from Christmas for cheap.
    Will red be ok? I know some of the commercial brooders use a red light, so I'm thinking this would be the same?

Also if I cut the center out of the lid and put wire on top to put my light on, how do I secure the wire? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

I made a small frame out of 1x2 and the wire was between the lid and the frame so just screw from underneath and it's all held in place. Plus the wood helps stiffen the lid where the hole for the wire was cut. [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    RED COLORED TUBS WILL BE FINE... HOWEVER THEY DO NOT REPLACE RED COLORED LIGHT [​IMG]

AS FOR LID CONSTRUCTION I DRILL SMALL HOLES AROUND THE OPEN CUT OUT, THEN STRETCH WIRE OVER THE OPENING AND ZIP TIE IT IN PLACE. DONT SET YOUR LIGHT DIRECTLY OVER ANY OF THE PLASTIC PART OF YOUR LID. IT CAN BE PLACED DIRECTLY ON THE WIRE WITHOUT PROBLEMS.

ALSO A HINT ABOUT USING HEAT/ LIGHT TO YOUR ADVANTAGES--- BABY QUAIL (ANY SPECES, BUT ESPECIALLY BOBS..) ARE LIKE LITTLE FUZZY HEAT SEEKING MISSLES ON TINY LEGS... USE THIS BEHAVIOR TO YOUR (AND THEIR) BENEFIT.... THE BIGGEST BROODER DANGER IS DROWNING, SO SET YOUR WATER FONT FARTHEST AWAY FROM THE LIGHT/ HEAT SOURCE(DONT WORRY THEY WILL INSTINCTIVELY SEEK WATER AND DRINK, SO THEY WILL LEAVE THE HOT ZONE TO GET A DRINK THEN COME RIGHT BACK)... THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE IS THEM "LEARNING" TO EAT SO SET YOUR SHALLOW FEED DISH DIRECTLY UNDER THE LIGHT/ HEAT SOURCE- THEY WILL CONGREGATE THERE TO BE WARM AND IT KEEPS THE FOOD READILY AVAILABLE WHICH HELPS THEM FIGURE OUT THE WHOLE "EAT" PART... OH AND A NICE SHINEY DIME ON TOP OF THE FOOD FOR DAYS1-3 HELPS TOO [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    For The Record, And For What Its Worth, I Start Very Few Speces With Red Light... Most Do Fine With White Incandescent. A 100watt Incandescent Is Much More Readily Available, Cheaper To Buy And Operate, Easier To Replace, And Uses Less Than 1/2 The Electricity Of A 250 Watt Infrared Heat Lamp. If I Have Agression Problems Then I Change Them To Red Light. Having Said That Bobs Are Agressors, So Definately Have Red Light Available, But You May Try Them On Incandescent White Light For Economy And Ease If You'd Like Too. I've Had Many Many Sucessful Bob Broodings This Way (like About 90+% Of Them..) And I Have Had The Occaisional Batch Of "tough Nuts" That Just Absolutely Must Be Subdued With Red Light (kinda Luck Of The Draw Here? )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by