Brooder

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sjaved789, Feb 21, 2014.

1. sjaved789

sjaved789 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    London City
    My chicks are around 10 to 15 hours old and I have put them into a brooder like this.[​IMG]

They started shivering I think,and have huddled together near the light bulb. Does this mean I put them in too soon? Appreciate any input. Thanks

Also the light bulb in hot when I touch it, should I close it off to the chicks incase they burn themselves?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    They need a heat lamp (250w preferably with a cage), a standard light bulb is not enough for them yet. If you can't get a heat lamp you could try a wet/dry heating pad but they need something to heat their top sides as well.

3. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    In an enclosed tote, a 60w bulb works perfectly for me. (I can get the dimensions if you're interested). I cut a round hole in the lid (on one end.....not in the middle) just a tad smaller than my reflector lamp. I set the lamp over the hole. The feeders/drinkers go on the opposite side from the heat source. I'm terrified of high wattage bulbs because of fire danger. If I have a lot of babies I divide them up in different totes. The totes go on a shelving unit for easy access/maintenance. I have bigger enclosed grow-out boxes as well which I use when they are over 10 days old and not as delicate. I use two 60w bulbs in those, mostly because I want to have a backup in case one burns out. (I had that happen in the middle of winter....eeeek!) I cover the reflector front with hardware cloth so I can bolt the lamp in their enclosure without worrying about them bumping the bulb.

4. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would suggest not using closed lids. I know i see fans or screens on some of the brooders but an open lid is much better for providing oxygen to the babies, esp if the fan quits or they huddle in front of the screen and clog it up. You just take a tote with a one piece lid and cut about 2/3 of the center of the lid away and replace it with chicken wire. Then you can just set a heat lamp right on top.

6. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I drill air vents in my closed totes along the bottom, side, and top. After a few days they like a cooler temperature during the day so I lift up one end of the lid a bit using the handle to hold it open an inch or so. I live in an old farm house so a wire top doesn't work because it doesn't stay warm enough for newly hatched chicks that way. My larger grow-out boxes for chicks a couple weeks old+ do have a wire top.

1 person likes this.
  7. sjaved789

sjaved789 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    London City

Hi. I live in London and it is very cold at the moment. Even if I open the lid for a few seconds the chicks start huddling to keep warm. However I agree that an open lid would be much better, might do that in the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by