1. 2907 Chicken

2907 Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    Hey guys so I'm getting my new brinsea mini advance on Monday and I want a simple idea for a brooder but I don't want ones made out of them storage tubs I would rather have one out of wood ideas please ;)

2. hiddenacres

hiddenacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    New Milford, Pa
    give me half an hour and i will make you a brooder blueprint

3. 2907 Chicken

2907 Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    Would you that would be great it for about seven chicks at a time and most probably fourteen it would be goo if I could separate it somehow for the younger and older chickens:rolleyes:

4. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    You just need a wooden box, size is whatever fits where you are putting it, but generally larger is better. Look at a plastic storage tub and make a wooden box like that. IMO, plastic is much more hygienic because it can be cleaned more thoroughly, but wood (and even cardboard) were used before modern plastics provided a better material.

5. hiddenacres

hiddenacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    New Milford, Pa
    here is what i came up with for you.
    5-6 foot long
    2.5-3 ft half sections (if your creative make them removable)
    3-4 foot wide
    2-2.5 foot tall

should look something like this in the end.

6. Shaneb99

Shaneb99 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Alberta
    I made 2 that I use all the time. They are 18" wide X 18" tall X 4' long and can be made from 1 sheet of plywood. Heat is provided by a single heat lamp on an electric baseboard thermostat. I built them bolted together at the corners so I can take them apart and stand the pieces against the wall when not being used. Make sure to cut ventilation cut outs in the top to get enough air circulation. I also ended up putting a hinge in the middle of the top so it was easier to get in but if I was doing it again I would just slide the top back and forth. It will hold up to 30 chicks for the first 2 weeks then I move them to a floor ring. Go to GQF's website and look at the commercially made brooder boxes for an idea of size and capacity.

7. mbelim

mbelim Out Of The Brooder

Hello all,
    can I hijack this thread for a lil?

see here below I have this shelf I would like to convert into a multi layered brooder.... ideas? How do I go about doing it? I need as much info as possible pls. I have never made a brooder before.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by