Brooder!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by roseyred, Dec 27, 2014.

1. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    This is super simple and I just wante to share the brooder I just made in like 10 minutes. I used
    -storage bin
    -screen from bent frame porch screen
    -stapler
    -chick feeder
    -cereal box
    -see through solo cup
    -Lid to large protien powder container

Cleaned out the storage bin and cut the mesh from the broken screen window. The frame was so bent we couldn't fix it to reuse on the porch anyway. Folded the mesh to fit over the top of the storage bin with a little extra hangover. Folded the mesh around the corners tightly so it made a fitted lid and stapled the crap out of it! Normal staples did work for this kind of mesh. Then I folded the edges under so it wasn't sharp and to make a lip to go under the lip of the bin. I put a mix of pine shavings and a little de then put a cereal box at one end for the water to sit on. I find if its not on something hard surfaced they will get so much **** in it you wouldn't believe lol. For the waterer I took the solo cup and at the rim of the cup I made two holes, one on each side and filled it up, put the large lid over the cup and flipped it swiftly and wala! Gravity suction waterer that peepers can't drown in. It's a cheap solution but once there big enough to not drown they'll get a normal waterer. Luckily this whole set up is in th stairway hallway so I can use the stair rails to hold my heat lamp once the chickies hatch! Lock down in two days!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

For the first few days until I switch over to a hanging nipple waterer, I have found using a wire mesh basket (Dollar Store drawer organizer) to elevate the waterer works VERY well at keeping stuff out of the water... The chicks have no problem navigating the wire mesh, and everything else falls through...

[​IMG]

I also personally stopped using pine shavings in my brooders, I found that wood pellets (for pellet burning stoves) work better as they tend to not get kicked around as much and end up in the food and water and they still do a great job as a litter...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  3. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    Very good to know! I wanna try the hemp bedding eventually but my parents think I already spend to much even when I come up with stuff like this saving all the money in the world lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by