Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chasiekitten12, Jan 17, 2015.

1. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Our 5 person family is raising 6 hens for eggs and pets next month.
    We are ALL really excited.
    We have picked our breeds already.
    We have our heat lamp, feeder, water, and know what our brooder box is.
    We plan on keeping our hens inside until week 6.
    We will get them at day olds.
    Our brooder box is a rubbermaid box. It is 4 feet long and 2 feet tall and 2 feet wide.
    Is this big enough until they are 6 weeks?
    Thanks in advance!

2. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    I think you'll get pretty fed up with your babies after six weeks.. You won't believe how dusty they are. I brood all my new babies in Rubbermaid containers in my art studio but when I put them out, I have to dust everything in there. Also, they will start flying out in a week or so. I love each and every one of them but I'm glad to put them out. I'm sure to hold them to tame them so I won't have problems later. I have enough chickens but with garden items out at TSC, the urge for new chicks is getting very strong. Feel free to ask questions any time.

3. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    I have had 16 heavy breed chicks in a box slightly bigger than yours until they were more than 6 weeks old, and they where just fine.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Your container will be fine for six chicks. Tip - rig up some kind of netting over the top or else you will walk into the room sometime in the second week to find a couple of your chicks perched on the edge of the container, proud as can be of themselves.

5. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Thanks for the tips!
    SUPER EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    this is the brooder that my husband made and we just moved them out.
    You are going to have many more chicks than we do. Before this mine were in an small animal cage inside our house.
    They are now in the garage. But, we live in FL so it isn't too cold outside. Also they have the heat lamp.
    [​IMG]

good luck. post pics when you get them

7. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    I train my new babies right away with the nipple drinkers. That way if you want to water using nipples on a hanging pail when they're older, you won't have to train them. I give them a regular little drinker only for the first couple of days, then introduce the nipple. After a couple of days, I remove the regular drinker.the water stays so much cleaner! You probably know this but when you bring in your new babies, be sure their water is not ice cold-room temp is best. Don't give them food for a couple of hours. That way their little bodies can flush out any remaining egg. I'm sorry to be telling you this if you already know. I don't want to imply you don't know but I didn't when I started.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by