Brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by trappersteve, Jan 21, 2015.

1. trappersteve

trappersteve New Egg

Jan 17, 2015
    Hey all first post on here. I have had chickens for years but this year I'm thinking about upgrading .
    My question is this I want to try to raise roosters to sell and was wondering if anybody did this also . I need to build some bigger brooders and want to keep at least 1-2 hundred whitties at a time. How big should I build my brooders say for at least a hundred chicks at a time? I have some ideas in my head but wanna see What you guys think

2. trappersteve

trappersteve New Egg

Jan 17, 2015
    I forgot to mention I plan on raising these up in stages 2 weeks into a bigger brooder as they get bigger

3. David1998

David1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

I had seen this somewhere, seemed about right to me:
    day old chicks: 1/4 sqft per chick
    2 week old chicks: 1/2 sqft per chick
    4 week old chicks: 1 sqft per chick

From there, continue to double space when their age doubles until you get to ~8 sqft per bird.

Where do you expect to market that many roosters? It seems difficult to give them away many times.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  4. trappersteve

trappersteve New Egg

Jan 17, 2015
    Thanks David my plan was 3x4 brooder to start then a 4x8 then about a month old a 12x12 then I've got big outdoor pens after that.

And I have a buyer that sells a lot of meat market birds if I did my math right I should make $2 a bird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by