1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

brooders everywhere I look :) Converted litter box and shed pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AHappychick, Feb 25, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Hi my name is AHappyChick and I am an addict,

With so many chooks and chicks I am working on the designs and starting to build my various coops but in the meantime everything I look at I break down to one single question: "Can I turn you into a brooder or coop? " [​IMG]

About a week ago it dawned on me that I had built a huge wooden litter box indoor shed thing years ago when I rescued cats and had many. Now only having one indoor cat I bought a new litter box with cover and am converting the cat box into a juvenile brooder it already is divided into 3 large spaces so with a new door and top It should work out nicely.

Now yesterday I go outside to put the recyclables in the recyclable shed and look on top and remember I had 2 long old kitchen cabinets there that I had been storing, hmmm I think, then my eye turns to the recyclable shed itself, I mean really who needs a personal shed for their trash bins, when one could have a brooder for the meaties arriving next week. Its right up against the house too, so electrical is no problem [​IMG]

So now I have I huge cat box, 2 6 ft long cabinets, and a shed that I am going to convert lol I will take pics of all as I go.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] Uh oh! I see lots of chickies in your future! [​IMG]

3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh I already have lots, I just need a bit more room now that they are getting bigger lol [​IMG]

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    As a fellow chicken addict i also look at everything with coop vision. Every shoe box is to be saved for nesting boxes, And i have devoured the hubbys wood pile making brooders. Not a spare dog kennel or rubber maid tub to be found anywhere. I tell DH all the time that there are worse addictions out there and he should be thankful its not something serious lol

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    So here is a pic of the old cat litter box box lol yes I meant to say box twice.

Inside were 3 plastic litter boxes with a divider with 8 inches or so at the top. even though there are still some stains [​IMG] I sterilized it twice so it should be ok.

I then cut out a section in the middle of the top to put 2 pieces of gold fencing I have had for years and been chopping and using for all sorts of things. This way I can put a heat lamp and get heat to all 3 sections and access all three sections as well. I then made 2 feeders (need to make another trip to home depot for the third if these 2 work. )

In the front where the cat doors used to be I will staple poultry plastic netting for now. I intend to take off the hinge and make 3 separate doors with ventilation but will do that later.

Now I need to make some waterers and fill with shavings and maybe some roosts.

I would like to be using it by tomorrow so whatever I can get done tonight between making dinner and taking care of ds [​IMG] is as far as I will take it for a while. I will make improvements as I go along.

Now for the outdoor recycling shed now named the meatie brooder lol

oh that is vitamins that I spilled down the front

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  6. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Great brooder! Looks like it was a great cat litter box box as well. I also tame up and rescue feral cats... never thought about building something like that for them. It would sure help to contain the litter that gets everywhere in my basement. Thanks for posting the pic and the idea!

When we bought our house and property there was an 4' x 8' x 5' tall, well built shed with a concrete floor, for the garbage cans. A few changes and it became my first coop.

Half of the 8' x 16' wood shed (again very well built) became the brooder room/coop for our meaties.

I'm now looking at an extra 4' x 8' x 5' tall wood dog house as my new duck house! Nothing is safe on our property! I think I share your addiction [​IMG]

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:Thanks it made an amazing litter box shed but was a bit longer than it needed to be lol I am doing a dog house fixed to be duck house too lol thats another thread [​IMG]

8. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    So today was a busy day I converted the recyclables shed into a meatie brooder and not a moment to soon the little stinkers needed more space and were stinking up my garage.

I made a feeder out of PVC based on what I had seen from other threads, it gets a little clogged but nothing a dowel jammed in cant fix. I also cut out 2 sections for vents I would like to put in a plexi glass window but dont have any, will look for some...

One side has hardware cloth (?) so that I can open it up and get more air in during the day (I still need to add another latch so the other side stays closed during this) The other door is open so that I may access the chicks. In a few more weeks I hope to have them out of here and into the meatie tractor which I am working on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by