1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooders, how many, what size ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by giasmom, Apr 3, 2009.

1. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    I've got 25 RIR's and 25 W Leghorns coming soon. At first I wasn't worried , but now I'm not so sure about the amount of brooder space I will need. We have a 4x6 nesting room in a coop that I had planned on turning them loose in as soon they are old enough. So reckon how much brooder space I'll need for the first few weeks???

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Actually, the nesting room will be fine! just make sure it's draft-free and put some low-hanging heat lamps in there. Raise the lamps weekly until the chicks are fully-feathered (4-5 weeks old).

3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Well I was kinda thinking that same thing, just wasn't sure . Guess I needed to hear it from someone who chicks & knows what their talking about. Thanks...

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    There's a reason you see so many brooder set-ups on BYC: many people here are in urban areas and don't have large coops where they can separate out chicks. I've got just 2 chicks in a large rubbermaid tote in the living room right now. If I had property & a large coop or barn, I would definitely go the route you're going.

You may be surprised how quickly 50 chicks fill up a 4x6' room.

An hour ago my little munchkins were running around the house (and then I was wandering around with papertowels looking for miniature land mines).

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by