1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooders: Start small and go bigger or start big?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kwm6620, Mar 12, 2015.

1. kwm6620

kwm6620 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Mississippi
    I'm anxiously awaiting my shipment of 8 chicks the first week of May. I was planning on using a dog kennel (about 24" x 36") for my brooder but am worried that it will be too small as they get larger. Saw a neat brooder made out of cardboard boxes that looked very efficient and much larger. The question is: do I start in the kennel then go to the cardboard when they start looking crowded or just go ahead and start with the larger cardboard brooder? I don't want to stress or upset them with the change...but then again it may be a nice transition before moving outside to the coop. Thoughts?

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I started with big. Probably the same type of thing with cardboard and they did great. I had 20 sq ft and only 8 chicks.
    Do you have something to put under the feeder and waterer because chicks can get really messy.

3. kwm6620

Mar 12, 2015
    Mississippi
    Thanks for your thoughts...and yes, I plan on using some type of tray for their feeder and waterer to cut down on the mess. Also plan on using newspaper or "pee pee pads" under the pine shavings to keep from soaking through the cardboard if I go that route.

Just curious...how do you add a signature line (where you have your quote)?

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Welcome to our flock![​IMG] Always go big! They grow fast so the more room the better, especially their outdoor coop. You never know when "chicken math" will strike!

5. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    If you put your mouse over your profile name then it should come up with several things. Just click the one that says 'edit signature'.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  6. kwm6620

Mar 12, 2015
    Mississippi
    Lightchick...I don't see that option. I only have "view profile", "all posts", "threads started", and "infractions".

7. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Weird. Were you here and just put your mouse over your name in the top right hand corner?

8. kwm6620

Mar 12, 2015
    Mississippi
    Dur. I was hovering over my name on the post...and not the name at the upper right! THANK YOU!! :) Now to think of something clever!

9. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Your welcome! Glad I could help! [​IMG]

10. kwm6620

Mar 12, 2015
    Mississippi
    Well I spoke too soon...when I click on the "edit my signature" it tells me I'm not allowed to edit the signature. I'll figure it out eventually! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by