Brooders

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BarkingPup, Nov 30, 2007.

1. BarkingPup

BarkingPup Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2007
    Canada
    So I was reading some posts about brooders for chicks and such. I was interested at the pictures, the designs, etc. Now for my question:

(I plan to have a small flock of ten or so...)

I have 10 Gallon, 20 Gallon, and 36 Gallon fish tanks. Would any of those be good for brooders? Or would the glass get too hot? Would they be too small for normal size chicks and perfect for bantams?

I also have a giant dog cage that hasn't been used in years because our dogs are all gone. It's one of those cages for big dogs and I was wondering if I stuck mesh around it would it be good to put more grown chicks in it?

Or should I just search for a rubbermaid container and go with that?

Thanks ^^

2. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Make a screen out of hard ware cloth fpr the tops of them Cut it bigger so you can fold down 4 sides to go over the fish tank. Start off with the smallest one for the first couple of days because they will not move around much to start with.

Do not try to use a 250 watt red poultry light it will be way to strong
    we put a thermometer on the bottom of the cage under the light to see how hot it gets
    if its hotter than 96/98 then put in a smaller bulb.

We use 100 watt - 60 watt or 40 watt yellow bug lights.
    Depending on age of chicks and size of the brooder.

I made 3 of these. To attach the wire I drilled holes in the lid and used zip strips. $10

[​IMG]

This is twice as big as the one in the Picture above it is a big x-mas tree tote $20

[​IMG]

OUT DOOR BROODER
    Its hard to see but I stapled on super thick clear plastic to keep the heat in.
    If I did not have a hen to help care for these chicks I would
    use 2 lights and 2 bulbs that way if one blows they will be OK
    because they would still have one heat source.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  3. BarkingPup

Nov 29, 2007
    Canada
    ^^ Thanks. I'll have to see if any of our pet stores carry heatlamps and, if so, what kind.

Off to home depot to find items for brooders!!!

XD

4. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Feed stores carry heat lamps

Get the one with a ceramic top NOT PLASTIC

5. BarkingPup

Nov 29, 2007
    Canada
    Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies :

Feed stores carry heat lamps

Get the one with a ceramic top NOT PLASTIC

So far I think we only have two feed stores.. I think.

Yeah, I kinda figure plastic would be bad with heat...... What about metal?​

6. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Look at my first picture "that heat lamp with the black plastic top and was bought at walmart. I do not like it and hardly ever use it and when I do I only use a 40 watt light bulb.

LOOK at my secound picture that heat lamp has a white ceramic top and is the safest one to buy I got it at Agway I also bought some at our local tractor supply. I USE THES THE MOST

7. BarkingPup

Nov 29, 2007
    Canada
    Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies :

Look at my first picture "that heat lamp with the black plastic top and was bought at walmart. I do not like it and hardly ever use it and when I do I only use a 40 watt light bulb.

LOOK at my secound picture that heat lamp has a white ceramic top and is the safest one to buy I got it at Agway I also bought some at our local tractor supply. I USE THES THE MOST

I don't like buying from Walmart, it makes me feel as if I'm supporting their treatment of the fish they have there. X(

I'll have to go to the feed stores I know of and look for ceramic heat lamps...

Thanks ^^​

8. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Home Depot and Lowes also have the heat lamp reflectors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by