Brooders

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DorisTheChicken, Apr 11, 2012.

1. DorisTheChicken

DorisTheChicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    West Yorkshire
    Hi, I'm very curious on how a chick brooder would progress in size and facilities, e.g. perches, as the chicks got older and what age they should be moved outside. How would you go about the transition from in to out? Basically a guide to the housing until there considered adults.

I'm in the UK and if i ever did rear chicks this would be in the summer so they would get the warmest weather possible. I would love to hatch some jersey giant chicks to add to my flock and this seems something that i'll need to know to succeed.

2. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

I personally went from a small tub when they were babies, to a large cardboard box. We had so many chicks, that around week 3, we had to split them in half, some in one box, some in another. I would go from any container large enough for your number of chicks and just keep getting larger containers each week so that it is totally fresh for them. I wouldn't worry about a perch until maybe week 2 or 3. Put it a few inches off the ground at first and when they get confident at that, you can raise it a little. I like to put in little things like a clump of grass at about week 3.
    Sorry I dont know much about putting them out yet, mine are still indoors.

3. DorisTheChicken

Apr 9, 2012
    West Yorkshire
    Just a bump up by me, would like some more info!

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

How are things in the UK??

Here is a link to a bunch of brooders in the Learning Center--- if you don't go there often..it sometimes is difficult to jump around. I'm surprised you didn't get more answers to your great inquiry.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-brooder-designs-pictures

I'm scouting around for what to use soon (hopefully) I have some eggs incubating right now.

I love that egg in your Avatar...it looks like a GIANT pearl....what kind of chicken produced that egg?

cheers!

5. DorisTheChicken

Apr 9, 2012
    West Yorkshire
    Sorry, been offline for a while, school work and

drumroll please,

chick raising I, now have 4 10 week old JG chicks which are a real rarity in the uk, the population being so small no one has even thought to create a breed club for them :(. The egg in my profile pic was my first egg from my first chickens and it was either my bluebell hybrid or one of my two speckledy hybrids, it was lovely, almost round.

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Those eggs are so gorgeous---they look almost like pearls. Do you put oil on them??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by