Brooders

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jan-n-cy-6769, Feb 28, 2014.

1. jan-n-cy-6769

jan-n-cy-6769 New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    USA-Uintah Basin, Utah
    What size brooder should i use for my new chicks? I picked up 29. Ive mentioned a few times that im a novice, Go big or go home!! lol. Im thankful for BYC.

2. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

How long are you planning on keeping them in the brooder? You can start out with a smaller brooder, but as they grow you will need something bigger, especially with 29 babies. The "standard" space is 2 sq ft per chick. Once they get all their feathers, around 6-8 weeks, they can be put out in the grow out pen.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I agree that how long you intend to keep them in the brooder is key. The longer they have to stay in there the larger it's going to have to be. If you can get your hands on something like a couple of appliance (refrigerator) boxes or big melon boxes from a grocery store and tape them together, that will give you plenty of space to start with. By the time they are 3 or 4 weeks old that many birds is going to be feeling crowded in just about any size brooder. They are also going to need a pretty good sized coop and run. You just want to stay on top of the space issue so you don't get nasty stress related pecking problems started up.

4. jan-n-cy-6769

jan-n-cy-6769 New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    USA-Uintah Basin, Utah
    Thank you all for your input, i appreciate it. Oh i plan on moving them to a bigger brooder here in just a few a days. I read up on how much space each lil cutie needs and they recomend 2.5 ft. Next im going to use an old lg. wooden crate for their next brooder, almost like a luggage chest from the old days. Im new at this, but i learn something new everyday thanks to BYC and my Uncle Barry who raised all types of livestock, and is stricken with MS and bedridden and can not do it anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by