Broodie gone wild?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cozycritters, Apr 29, 2009.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    My BO hen has been sitting on some eggs for about five days now. We've given her access to food and water not far from her nest.

About ten minutes ago she went YELLING across the whole backyard and is now terrorizing all of the other chickens and running around and scratching...

Has she lost her MIND?

Has she abandoned the eggs?

2. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Anyone? She's SCARY [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] I thought my broodie had gone wild too at one point. Everyday I had been taking her unfertilized babies away from her, she always complained about it, but never went totally schizoid on me. But for this last time right before she abandoned her will to be broody....When I reached in for the eggs, she jumped up, faced me and screamed at the top of her lungs! I've never seen her do that but boy she was in a rage at me and right after that, she gave up being broody. She'd been sitting there for almost a month and a half.

4. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks for responding [​IMG]

She's terrorizing everything that moves-- do you think she's just given up (after five days????) She's been on some duck eggs for me [​IMG]

5. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Could be a territorial thing going on with her. If she does not settle back down on the eggs then you will know she has lost her desire to set. Hopefully not...good luck!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by