Broodie Hen

Choco Maran

Songster
10 Years
Jul 25, 2009
Ribera New Mexico
I have a hen that has been sitting for about a week and a half (we collect eggs from under her every day) which is fine, because I have hatching eggs coming on Monday. My question is if I place eggs under her will she stay sitting on them until they hatch at this point?

It is always a possibility that even if they were eggs she laid she may give up the nest at any time.
What breed is she? Some are more determined to sit then others.

I have a hen that has been sitting for about a week and a half (we collect eggs from under her every day) which is fine, because I have hatching eggs coming on Monday. My question is if I place eggs under her will she stay sitting on them until they hatch at this point?
Good luck with your hatch. Some hens will remain broody for a long long time and even endanger themselves. The only cure would be having chicks hatch. Some hens will desert their eggs -- It may be wise to have a back up plan and be able to instantly put eggs in an incubator if your broody deserts her eggs.

Good luck with your hatch.

The hen is a blue red lace Wyandotte she is under a year old. And yes I ordered with the intention of using a Incubator. Just thought I would see if she would hatch a couple out.

She is very young to trust staying broody long enough. I would be sick with worry during the sitting time.

Be sure to have an incubator ready in case she pops off the nest.
My little cochin bantam is by far my most reliable broody hen. She would sit for 3 months if I let her.
I have wyandottes and only one ever went broody so cannot say if they are good setters or not.

Wishing you luck in the hatching!

Back
Top Bottom