1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broodie Hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3, Nov 3, 2011.

1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    My silkie has gone broodie. Will it hurt the eggs if whenI check them ( take them out and candle them) I turn them around to look better? How long can eggs be out from under the mom?

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    The mother should naturally get off her eggs each day for about 10-30 minutes to eat, drink, etc. I have taken eggs out from under my broodies to see if they were fertile. It didn't harm the embryo at all. As long as you don't turn the egg too much and your hands are clean and relatively warm the egg should be fine when you are candling.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  3. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    i have lifted my silkie up off her eggs a couple of times to check things out....she is fine with it...i just cant wait til next week so i can candle them...my boyfriend told me to just let them go and we will do it then...im soo excited but scared that they wont be growing...but i have faith in mama..she is doing an excellent job....[​IMG]

4. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Ya. My hen WOln't get up at all. [​IMG]

5. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    I was taking my gal out one to 2 times a day for 5-20 minutes and both eggs hatched on schedule fine. The day the eggs were laid no one was sitting on them for the first 12 hours.

6. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Thanks [​IMG] Can you add eggs in that were laid on different days?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by