1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Broodie still looking after chicks at 11 weeks old...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hennie, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Hennie

Hennie In the Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    "Down Under" SE
    Has anyone ever had a broodie wanting to stay with 11 weeks old chicks? She has only 4 but she doesn't want to go back with the others, she enjoys all the snacks and goodies the chicks get and is now in very good condition. Just would like to know, if when the chickens are 12 weeks old, can they go back in with the older chooks.
    Thanks for any comments.
    Hennie

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Songster

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Your broody should have introduced her crew to the oldsters long ago! Put them together and let her take care of things, since she wants to be with them anyway:)

3. detali

detali Songster

May 9, 2009
    My broody hen with her one week old chicks are part of the flock already. In fact, I let them together when they were just a day old. Broody went to take a dust bath right off. And you know what the little ones did? Exactly the same! Little day old chicks, laying in the dirt, scratching at the dirt with their tiny feet and throwing dirt up on themselves. So very cute.

I did have to remove one hen to a chicken jail since she was picking on the little ones. After a week or so I will let her back in and watch what happens.

4. Hennie

Hennie In the Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    "Down Under" SE
    Thanks for the replies. We have a big run separate from the "oldies" so it was no trouble and they have been free ranging and walking past the others so they know each other. Why we kept them separate is we were worried that they might be eating the layer pellets instead of the grower crumble, as I read on here that they should have the grower till 12 weeks of age.
    Looks like we did the wrong thing?

5. detali

detali Songster

May 9, 2009
    At one week old I still feed my hatchlings scrambled egg. They love it. Broody loves it too. Then for the rest of the time Broody scratches and pecks at everything in the chicken pasture and the little ones do the same. So funny! A lizard ran past one of the little ones yesterday. That little chick started to chase after the lizard. So funny. However they do eat little insects already.

6. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Songster

[​IMG] My hen started pushing her chicks away from herself & the best tid-bits at 7 weeks:rant Now my one surviving pullet(chick) is being followed by momma hen, getting goosed once she finds a nice patch of bugs or seeds. Momma has raised one independant & strong pullet! Now 2months old or 9 weeks, however you do your age counting.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by