broodies and rain

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mustangsaguaro, Mar 11, 2012.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    So, I have a broody sitting on eggs and this next week (Tues) it is suppose to be starting to rain for at least 8 days maybe more. My broody is outside in the elements. Eggs right now are on Day 10. My question is should I move her someplace inside to be out of the rain when it starts? She is in a spot where I can put something over top of her to prevent her from getting all wet. Usually in the past when I have moved her she will stop going broody, but that is usually w/in the first 3 or 4 days when I notice it. My incubator is full w/ eggs so it's not like I can put these eggs in the incubator. I planned on moving her inside the coop when the chicks all hatch but that's not for another 10 or 11 days. What would you do? I am a bit reluctant to move her for fear she will no longer want to sit on the eggs.

THanks

2. Asweet23

Asweet23 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Great Plains
    I would move her with the forecast the way it is. Is she in an enclosure (fenced area) or out where she is exposed to other animals (dogs, racoons, coyotes) finding her? If she's in a safe enclosed area then it might be okay to leave her and put a tarp over her but I would still be concerned if there is wind along with the rain.

goodluck!!

3. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    She was outside and her nest was inside one of those round compost things. It was about 1/2 full of unturned compost. I have since moved her inside a coop I have where she will not be bothered by anyone. Has access to food and water. She settled right back onto the eggs once I moved her which I was relieved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by