Broodies BOTH Quit Today!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Apr 16, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Would you believe that Dusty walked away from her little guy today? He's three weeks and screaming for mama and she completely ignored him, trying to get into the pen with Suede! So, I removed my Nugget from her baby. She walked into the coop with the main flock and is not looking for hers, either! I took the brothers and put them together in the dog crate where Dusty was living and they are going to live there until they have new homes! If I had known that they'd do this today, one day after walkswithdog was here to take the barred EE chicks, I'd have sent them along with her yesterday! [​IMG] Well, that is, if she wanted them.

SO, anyone want two of Suede's sons that could not look more different from each other! [​IMG]

2. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Well that is crazy stuff. They did such a good job up until this. [​IMG]

When do hens stop mothering the chicks normally?? Is it closer to 6 weeks or do they do it longer? I have never had one make it to hatching. They always give up at day 15 or so and make me crazy.

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Hens differ on mothering. I had one that mothered about 4 days and then started pecking and blooding their little heads, she went back to the big coop really fast. I then had one that was still a crazy mother at 6 weeks.

4. speckledhen

Actually, Dusty is a tad early in letting her baby go--three weeks is a little soon, IMO. Nugget would still listen to hers, but was no longer quick to go find him. I've had them quit at four weeks and five weeks, but never go six weeks so far.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh geez Cyn! Shame on those girls...

I sure do hope you can find them homes soon. [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

It sort of surprised me today when Dusty, a formerly militant mother hen, just ignored her son's loud chirping. Though, really, it makes it easier to deal with, not having to feed and water and let out and put back two broodies and their babies. So, I hope someone would like what should be two awesome and striking roosters.

7. deborah the silkie

deborah the silkie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Phoenix
    Please tell me the majority of hens are wonderful mothers? I have a white cochin, that is raising two chicks, shes loving and caring for them. But all of these stories about bad mama hens are scaring me. What are we chicken people to do just watch and hope for the best?

8. speckledhen

They aren't bad mama hens. It''s natural for a broody to start pushing her babies away at 4-6 weeks. I just didn't think since they had babies a week apart, that they would both give up their jobs on the same day.

9. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    oh, I wish you sent baby chicks by mail or i would have those in a min!!!!

10. speckledhen

Wish you lived closer! The reddish/blue one especially, should be a very handsome and LARGE rooster. He's already backing his older barred brother down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by