Broodies, broodies everywhere! :O

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ducklove334, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, we are surrounded by broodies [​IMG]

Naomi, our OEG mix has settled in the old wooden shed with two of her own eggs, and 3 foster standard eggs. she's been brooding since last night.

and this morning, the red and white hen whos been layin in the feed room has started settling on her 6 or so remaining eggs(3 eggs were fostered to Naomi) and 3 somehow got cracked, so we pitched them.

ALSO, I /think/ that Stencil, my fawn and white runner duck is trying, or atleast has fantasies of brooding, because she set my muscovies nest this morning for about 30 minutes O_O.

I hope the two broody hens work out and we get baby peepers,

AND if Stencil's gonna set I wish she would for longer than 30 minutes [​IMG]

question though, I have one of what I think is Sages egg, that i was gonna stick in the bator, but would it be ok to set the duck egg under the broody red hen??, would she stick around the extra 7 days til the duck egg hatched??

then if she did I'd have to take the duckling away right??

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

The hen would not stay on the nest more than a day after her chicks had hatched. You could put the duck egg under her until then and then move it to the bator for the remaining days. The hen will do a good job, but the duck will not be welcome in the hens established family by that time.

3. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    ok, I will have to try that, I set a blue swedish and runner egg with her clutch, I hope they are fertile [​IMG]

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

YAY! [​IMG] YAY! [​IMG] YAY! Broodies abounding!! It's almost SPRING!!! [​IMG] *goes off to grumble over the predicted snow tomorrow*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by