Broodies Doing Great...Nora and Panda- Bad News re: Smoky's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Jul 7, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I made a commitment to rehome Nora, my younger blue Ameraucana, and a day or two later, she went broody for the first time in her two years of life. Then, a week later, Panda, my oldest barred EE (Zane & Charlotte's daughter) went broody for her first time. Panda is a month younger than Nora, both just over two years old. They are both doing fabulously.

Nora is usually like a cross between a pitbull and a cobra on the nest when she isn't broody, but since going broody, has been positively angelic. [​IMG] Panda is sitting tight and we have to remove her from the nest daily. She eats like a trucker and drinks, then eats and drinks, poops big, then eats some more--more than any other broody I've ever had here. Then she does her broody war cry and runs back to her nest.

Today is Day 14 for Nora's five eggs and Day 7 for Panda's seven eggs. ALL seem to be developing, even Dusty's which is under Panda. Anyone want some Barred Rock or BBS Orp chicks? LOL.

Beth, I was thinking I had two of Dusty's and one of Smoky's under Panda, but when I candled today, there were two of Smoky's and one of Dusty's instead. Not sure why I remembered wrong, but Dusty's is developing and we need to cross our fingers for a pullet out of her for you!

Apparently, the first day Panda was sitting, she laid her last egg and we didn't catch that till three days later. I almost tossed it, but left it--that will be Zane's grandchick since Panda is his daughter, will be 3/4 BR and 1/4 blue Ameraucana.

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Cynthia, and I will cross my fingers for a SPLASH pullet - he-he-he!

Isn't it just ironic that you waited and waited and WAITED for someone to go broody this spring, and now all your girls are jumping on the bandwagon?

I sure as heck hope all is "well" with your water- and that it is only a tiny expense if anything!!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  3. speckledhen

I just hope the others don't go broody, too. These are two brand new broodies. Sunny, Tux and Dusty still haven't gone broody again, but Tux isn't doing well in the heat and Dusty will not be given eggs to hatch, no matter what, after her attempted assassination of both her broods.

4. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Dusty is a naughty girl, but she sure is pretty-
    I edited to add above about your water situation- I really hope that gets fixed FAST!!!!

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Wow! I've never had a broody, yet. I had a Buff Orp that tried but then got carried off by a predator one night. [​IMG]

Cynthia, would you ship me the BBS Orp chicks that hatch?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
  6. speckledhen

Jeremy, I've already told Beth she could have them, but I don't ship live birds anyway. Nora has BRs and EEs and Panda has BRs and only 3 Orps in her clutch.

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Shucks! [​IMG] Next time, well next year (I made a promise, no more eggs/chicks/birds until 2011) then I'll have to see about getting some Suede babies from you again. Hatching eggs I mean. Every time I see the picture of Kathy's Polly I regret not putting Meg's egg in the incubator!

8. speckledhen

Have you seen Meg's 9 week old son, Roosevelt? He's so cute, too bad I can't keep him.

[​IMG]

9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    He's a looker too. I think the blue/red color combo works really well together, the birds end up stunning!

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I want Barred Rock GIRLS ! ! ! (I have 2, plus 1 bantam and Miss Holly). Geshhhh, I have a ton of the boys! [​IMG] That's ok though, because when the 2 girls start laying, I am gonna hatch me a bunch of 'em ! ! !

GO Nora! GO Panda! Gotta love em! I have another broody .... A young Light Sussex will not be broken. I gave in today, and gave her a few eggs. [​IMG]

The very fat and fluffy Miss Polly ..... 2nd picture is blurry, but you can see her profile! She is my biggest girl, and still growing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by