broodies everywhere

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dinahmoe, Jun 9, 2011.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    it is 96 here and i have 9 broodies.what is going on.it is too hot to let them set for 3 weeks.plus i don't want anymore chicks. [​IMG]
    i have an olive egger,2 splash rocks,2 blue rocks,a silver penciled rock,a black sex link and 2 bantam salmon faverolles.why couldn't they do this in the spring and i would not have had to incubate eggs.i would much rather have a broody raise them.

its so hard to break them [​IMG]

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Would you please send some broody vibes my way? I have a little banty hen that was broody last year, sat on her eggs faithfully for 24 days (I was giving the eggs an extra chance), and then slipped some babies from the feed store under her when they didn't hatch. She was a great mama! So, this year I spared her when we butchered all the other older layers, hoping that she'd be broody again this year. Nope. Nothing. She's not even laying. I have a year-old BO hen. They're supposedly notorious broodies. Not mine. So if it's something in your water, maybe you could send me a vial? That would be fine, really. Thank you.

3. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    VIBES SENT [​IMG]

maybe its just not hot enough where you are.it is so hot and dry here.i have fans out on the pens already.last night was our first rain in over a month.it has been so miserable that everytime i checked on my last broody ,she was "hovering" over the eggs.
    my bantam favs are going on 2 and have never shown any desire to set until now and i have 2 at once.i worry about them the most because they seem to get the hottest.i had to move them to their own little "spa" area to try and stop them.
    get some blue rocks from Halo,these guys will set for you.i have 4/9 blue hens setting at once.
    i found an egg outside in the chicken yard the other day,so i went inside the coop to check on everything and all 5 next boxes were full with 2 hens setting underneath the boxes on the floor.my other girls can't even find a place to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by