1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broodies look so MEAN.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Badhbh, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Really... look at that murderous gleam in her eye. She's just waiting for me to make a false move, and she'll eat my face off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's the one that laid her eggs in the hay loft. I had to relocate her. That's 14 eggs she's sitting on. [​IMG]

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    [​IMG] I'd turn around....very slowly....and quietly creep away. With luck you'll still have all your limbs.

I had two go broody on the same nest. Trust me, two evil glares are worse than one. [​IMG]

I love her coloring, she's a gorgeous girl! Are those eggs she's going to hatch?

3. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    She's a BLRW. I don't know what's under her- looks like she took one from each hen and laid some of hers on top. She's got a hodge podge under her. I've got several roosters, so what they'll be is anyone's guess [​IMG]

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I think they look cute all fluffed up like that. Its fascinating [​IMG] Good luck with the hatch! [​IMG]

5. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks [​IMG] When I moved her, I saw that she'd plucked herself completely bare underneath. I know that they do it, but it was shocking to see it.

6. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    lol. She's not playing any games. She's seriously serious about those 14 eggs. lol.

7. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Oh, yes, they take this very seriously and look FEROCIOUS! But any broodies that I've had are either Silkies or Cochin Banties, which makes them easy to deal with. I don't know how I would do if one of my BO's went broody. Just have to wait and see. Good luck! [​IMG] Genie

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

She's so pretty! What a lovely thing!

I know, Woodstock doesn't look very nice when she periodically goes broody, either. Except she seems to be in more of a trance than a mean state.

[​IMG]

9. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    my cochin bantam hens were viscious when it came to protecting their nests, i've been pecked many times being nosey [​IMG]

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    It's the growling and general grumpiness that makes me laugh. Nothing like a silkie muttering chicken curses under her breath. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by