Broodies making me CRAZY!!!

serendipityfarm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 28, 2010
Connecticut
So, I had a broody Silkie, then a broody bantam Cochin... Silkie hatched 2, one died; Cochin hatched 1. They are in the brooder in the basement.
Cochin hatched in the coop on 12/3 and I swear, the OTHER bantam Cochin got jealous, or inspired, or SOMETHING, and has been sitting ever since. SIX WEEKS, and I can't stop her! I have been begging my husband to make me a wire-bottom cage, but he hasn't gotten to it yet.
So, a few weeks back, since she was being so determined, I let her have a few eggs (which turned into more than a few thanks to the other hens) but after a few days she swapped nests and they got really cold. I chucked them and went back to putting her off the nest. I got lax earlier his week and she accumulated 5 eggs, so I just gave up again and let her sit. The problem is, I candled, and see NOTHING. I'm going to give them a little longer and check them again, but if they're duds, I won't be surprised. Little Man hasn't been seen doing his thing lately.
sad.png
Anway, since we're at 6 weeks, I'm wondering how long she can keep this up before her health is in jeopardy??

Oh, and I went out to the coop tonight, and Cochin #1 is growling away at me from the other nest box. I'm going to pull my hair out.
I'm tempted to get the 2 of them some hatching eggs, but like I said I'm worried about the little girl that's been sitting so long already. Another 3 weeks???

And to think I wanted some more bantam Cochins...
he.gif

hugs.gif

It does seem to be contagious doesn't it? I waited FOREVER for one of mine to go broody and the next thing I knew half the darn flock was fluffed up and growly. The wire bottom cage has worked really well for me. It sounds like your dh won't be getting to it any time soon, but they're really not that hard to build, especially if you have room in your coop for it and don't have to make it pred. proof.

Another option is to check out freecycle and/or craig's list for used rabbit hutches. We used to raise bunnies so that's what I use and they're just about perfect.

ETA: In the meantime you could give your broody forever girl some scrambled eggs or other high protien treat a few times a week to help keep her in condition.

Last edited:
Thanks! I do have some extra eggs in the fridge. Maybe a warm snack tomorrow is in order. The trick is getting her to eat it! I've tried to offer her scratch on the nest & while she's not a naughty broody, she just isn't interested. Maybe some warm eggs will be more tempting...

I also had another thought. DH is working on the tack/feed room in the barn and at the moment the floor is ripped out so it's just dirt & 3/4 in. stone. Not very inviting as a nest, I'm sure. I was thinking if the newly broody (again) hen is still trying in the a.m, I might put her in there w/food & water for the day & see what happens.

It's worth a try, but a few of mine prefer to make nests in dirt and gravel so I wouldn't hold out a ton of hope that it will break her. Funny how most of them have the 3-5 week thing down pretty well, but there always seems to be one or two that give up right before hatch day and one or two that will brood indefinetly.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom