Broodies?!?!?! OMG NO WAY!!!! >:0

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justino, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    so i have a silkie who just started bein a broody and i bet u that my other 2 silks r gonna copy....so im new to broodies so i got a few Qs for u guys....

1. How long will they brood?
    2. Do i need to give them any special treatment?
    and 3. Do they sit all day???

THANKS!!!

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Different broodies will sit for different lengths of time. They will almost always sit for at least three weeks. If they hatch out chicks, then they stop being broody and raise the chicks. If they don't have chicks to raise they may continue sitting for weeks longer or may just stop.

IMO, if you are going to let her sit on fertile eggs to hatch, you should put her in a separate area from the other chickens so they don't try to lay eggs by her or mess with the chicks once they hatch.

A true broody will sit all day and night for the entire length of time it takes to hatch her eggs. She will only get up for about 30 minutes each day to eat, drink and poop, and maybe take a dust bath. She will fluff up her feathers and "growl" at you when you come near her nest. Some broodies will try to peck you also.

3. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:yeah....we dont have a roo so no hatchin babies for her!

And she does come out to dust bathe.....great lol looks like i got me a broody...hope she quits soon! oh, and im staealin her eggs too and she isnt too happy about that [​IMG] she doesnt attack me tho just growls lol [​IMG]

4. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have a chicken that went broody a couple of weeks ago - she only comes out about 15 minutes each day if that much. I have only caught her outside the coup twice in two weeks and each time she went right back in within 5 minutes. I tried to hand her some meal worms and she woulnt even eat them. I dont know how she is surviving - the eggs should hatch out next week - I sure hope so - she needs those chicks!

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:yeah....we dont have a roo so no hatchin babies for her!

And she does come out to dust bathe.....great lol looks like i got me a broody...hope she quits soon! oh, and im staealin her eggs too and she isnt too happy about that [​IMG] she doesnt attack me tho just growls lol [​IMG]

let her set infertile eggs for two weeks and then buy her day old chicks and slip them under her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by