broodies on broodies?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bwebb7, May 18, 2009.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    No kidding! I have a broody that I gave a dozen eggs to. I was letting her set when another hen started pullin her feathers and settin right along with her! I keep pullin the other one out and she keeps going right back in! Will they be ok together?
    I sure wish I was gettin more eggs everyday!

2. Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Burnsville, Minnesota
    I would be worried keeping them together-what happens when the chicks hatch-who is the mother? They may fight over them. Can you move her a place where the other hen cannot go? A separate pen?

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I actually have three hens sitting on the same clutch of eggs.
    When one gets up to eat, drink and poo the one that is closest takes her eggs and vice versa.
    When the chicks hatch I will give them to the biggest hen and seperate from the rest.

4. wionna1202

wionna1202 Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Naples
    I have a question. I am new to chickens and new to this site. We have had some chickens for a few months now. I got 6 chicks from the store, 2 a little older from a lady. about 15-16 weeks now. and a rooster and an egg laying hen from her as well.

We didn't really know what we were donig at first then read that she can lay many eggs till she has a big enough grouping for a "brood" Anyway. so we stopped removing the eggs and waited. Didn't take long, now we are up to 15 eggs. an egg a day.

But why will she not lay on them or go "broody"

Any ideas. Thanks ahead of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by