Broodies with eggs 105 degrees outside

Lilalienangel

Songster
Aug 28, 2019
I set eggs under 2 broodies on the 15th. They took a week to get to me and had detached air cells. Out of 11 eggs only 4 made it through the 7 day candling. 3 of those reattached air cells. Yesterday, today, and though the weekend we are experiencing 105° weather. I had to take my broodies out and set them in a few inches of cool water. Fortunately, they went back. Is the hot weather going to kill my eggs and leave my mommas wanting?

That’s rough 😕. my broody just sat in brutal humid heat and only one of five hatched 7/14. I have read that hatch rates are lower in very hot weather for broodies. Mine did take a few more dustbath breaks than I remember her taking last year when she sat. I did notice her standing over the eggs a couple times too. I did run a battery fan on her, and sometimes you just have to let nature be. Good luck with your hatch.

Oh my!! I really hope they hatch. I want blue eggs darnit. I could pull them and put them in an incubator. Maybe slip them under broodies when they hatched? It's cooler now but it's gonna be another scorcher tomorrow.

Too much intervention. Leave broody's alone. Odds are temperatures eggs experienced less than you suspect. They can also tolerate going above optimal for short periods. My hens stand above hens when it gets really hot.
I had to intervene. They were panting, had their wings to the side as lost all color in their combs and wattles.. As far as the eggs I think it is a little to risky to pull them.. I just worry. I promised someone one and I really want a blue egg layer...

I had to intervene. They were panting, had their wings to the side as lost all color in their combs and wattles.. As far as the eggs I think it is a little to risky to pull them.. I just worry. I promised someone one and I really want a blue egg layer...
Make certain the nest site is shaded with decent airflow and hen has option to leave if she needs to. Also make so she can go to water easy for drink. She is likely dumping more heat by panting and spreading wings that by your help. Hens nesting in contact with ground have an advantage when it gets real hot.

That's rough. I have hens that like to go broody this time of year as well when it's very hot with extremely low humidity. I've heard some hens pull it off without any problems, but mine summer hatches were always very poor -- 25% hatch rate, and one case of an exploding rotten egg.

Now, when one of my hens goes broody in the summer, I incubate the eggs and give her the chicks when they hatch. In the meantime, I run a fan on the coop, and put frozen water jugs near to the broody (not touching her, just close by), as she labors over her golf balls.

If you are really worried, you could candle the remaining eggs and see if they are still viable, and either remove them to incubate (putting some fake eggs under the broody), or cross you fingers and hope for the best under the broody.

I actually 13 more eggs I just got in to incubate myself.. Fancy rare breeds. They proved they are good mothers already earlier this season. I'll have to get chicks though. I am wondering if I am in a world of hurt with a tiny back yard and chicks at 3 different sizes... Well I am in a farming community. Maybe someone has some that will hatch the same day the broody eggs might.. I'll check for viability in a little and update. Off to craiglist.

Back
Top Bottom