Broodies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GlitterKitty, Jul 13, 2010.

1. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Hi [​IMG]

I have two broodies that sit on five eggs with eachother. They've gone broody together before too and they are sisters. I have tried to take just one broody out and out her somewhere seperate but she wont sit on the eggs. Then I tried to break Rainy the other broody and Rainy wont stop beign broody, then I tried to break Lacey and she wont either [​IMG] Is it okay if they both sit on the chicks? They hatch tomorrow so I'm running out of time. I'm afriad they'll hurt eachother, but those two always cuddle up and sit under eachothers wings.

Please help, thanks

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I have two broodies that insisted on sitting together - a pair of Australorps. My daughters have named them Cinderella and Snow White. They are ever so cute squished in their nest box together.

they just hatched out a few very cute little olive eggers! I hope that your hatch goes well, too!

3. GlitterKitty

Nov 21, 2009
    Okay... I have heard both good and bad things about letting broodies have chicks together...

Guess I'll just have to try and see what happens. If they fight I still have my brooder ready to go

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've had two turkens go broody together twice, and mother the chicks together. If you think one mama hen is protective, you should see two! Those chicks were the safest babies I've ever seen!

5. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:Like your choice of names! I have three white cochins named Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Thank you for giving me the idea of calling my next (fingers crossed) hatchlings by the names of the 7 dwarfs (8 eggs under my broody so this may be just a little optimistic). There's always a Dopey, Grumpy and Bashful in every group of chicks, but finding a Doc may be a bit more tricky.....

Snow White is going to have to be a red Pyle Brahma roo.....nearest to white I have....already answers to the name of Whitey (Well his main feathers are white anyway).

After that there is Alice in Wonderland.....Alice, Queen of Hearts, Jabberwock, Mad Hatter, but still only Whitey to be White Rabbit. Tweedledum and Tweedledee are good names, though.

Maybe I am spending too much time with my feathered friends.....

Sandie

7. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:Impossible. You can't spend too much time with them.

Maybe Doc could be the chick that hatches out looking like it's wearing spectacles...

8. GlitterKitty

Nov 21, 2009
    Lol I especially like the alice in wonderland names [​IMG]

There chicks are due tomorrow!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is Rainy:
    [​IMG]

And Lacey:
    [​IMG]

And the eggs, Im pretty sure just those white bantam ones will hatch though.
    [​IMG]

9. TurkeyMountainChickens

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Quote:Like your choice of names! I have three white cochins named Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty.

My daughters named them. [​IMG] We also have hens named Mulan, Jasmine, and Belle. Ariel turned out to be a rooster.... [​IMG]

10. TurkeyMountainChickens

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    And how is the hatch going? Are the eggs peeping yet? You must post pictures of your duo with their brood!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by