&^$*% BROODIES!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CarriBrown, Apr 21, 2008.

1. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Here is Sasha (with Tina in the background), my normally sweet Millie Fleur d'uccle. Is that a chicken or a screaching, biting ball of feathers?

[​IMG]

Mad as all get out... after being booted off her nest.

[​IMG]

2. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    I know what you mean. my mom's draw blood. i tried the switching game ( from nest box to a separte pen) and she through all the eggs. It worked last year. no luck this year

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I'm gonna fess up to something... after 2 years of a very frequently broody buff orp in the nest we finally found a good home for her off of craigslist. My wife was tired of reaching in for eggs and being worried she'd get pecked. Oh, and the other 7 hens weren't very keen on her in the nest all the time either.

4. CarriBrown

I don't care if I get pecked, but if I had a child, I would not be thrilled. At all.
    This is the first time Sasha has gone broody and she's over two years old. I think she was just following the leader. Elvira the crazy Silkie started, then Tina, then Gwen, then Sasha. Gwen broods under the coop, so we had THREE crazies fighting over ONE nest. [​IMG] Gwen and Elvira are over it, Tina is losing interest... So we have Sasha. Sigh. Spring is here.

5. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    my BR doesnt sit but then hens better watch it if she spots them anywhere that she can see them!!! "SCREEEEEECH!" she screeches at me and i think its funny so i pet her [​IMG]

6. CarriBrown

hehe I think it's funny, too. Sasha is a fast little squirt, so any time I can pick her up, I do! She HATES it and I just giggle. Silly girl.

7. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Quote:Ahhhh so THAT'S why you decided to get ducks! [​IMG] They're not so mean.

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    why no chicks [​IMG] ?

9. CarriBrown

I have enough chickens. (PS. Those words were fed to me by my husband.)

10. rjv_piper

rjv_piper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Utah
    I love my broodies. I don't have an incubator, so all of my hens are expected to do the work for me. The only problem is it not as productive as I like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by