broodies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sockosickbag, Feb 18, 2015.

1. sockosickbag

sockosickbag New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    I need some really broody, medium to large hens. I've had Wyandotte's, welsummer, silkie and light sussex and none of them have ever gone broody....can anyone recommend any?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Where are you sourcing your birds from? Broodiness is something that is less common in hatchery birds as they are bred with the focus on production and broodiness is counter to production. There are lots of breeds that are known for broody tendencies, but the issue is that individual birds are just that - individuals - and, unfortunately, they don't read the poultry books to see that the rules say they are a broody breed.

An alternative would be to invest in an incubator and hatch chicks that way - then you are dependent on the whims of a bird that may or may not be broody at the time you want/need them to be.

3. sockosickbag

sockosickbag New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    hi, the birds I've had where from other chicken keepers. I have an incubator but the only one I could afford was a manual and I cant always be there to turn the eggs and I don't really have the room to have a brooder. the only hen that has ever gone broody for me is a light sussex bantam but it can only sit on a few eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by