Broodies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marjwhamond, Feb 23, 2015.

1. marjwhamond

marjwhamond Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2015
    is it possible to do something that will encourage my ladies to get broodie?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Some think that allowing them to build up a clutch or leaving nest eggs in the box encourages broodiness. What breed are your hens - not all breeds and not all strains within a broody breed retain the 'setting' instinct.

3. marjwhamond

Feb 14, 2015
    I have quite the variety. White Cochin, Partridge Cochin, EE, Australorp, danish brown leghorn, red sussex cross, buff brahma

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Given the breeds that you have, I predict some broody hens in your future.

5. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    I imagine all of them will go broody eventually except maybe the EE and Leghorn

1 person likes this.
  6. marjwhamond

Feb 14, 2015
    I have 2 broodies. Hooray. Now. Here's the question: can I put them both on eggs, in the same nest box. It's big enough. I'm just wondering about compatibility both while they are setting and after the chicks hatch. Any insight or suggestions are welcime

7. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Some hens do well with co-brooding, others do not. The only way to find out is through experience. For this first time, I'd separate them and give them their own space. If they choose to co-parent after the chicks are born, then cool. But if they don't, you could end up with smashed eggs or dead chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by