Broodiest hen breed?

Witchgrass

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2016
Bandera, Texas
Is there a particular breed that is more apt to go broody more often? I was thinking about getting an incubator, but if I can have several broody hens to hatch eggs for me, that would work also. Thanks.

I have read that Buff Orpingtons and silkies like to go broody and I'm hoping mine will this spring. Good luck! :)

Good info. I do have two young Buff Orpingtons. My flock is pretty diverse, with multiple breeds. Haven't really thought about Silkes yet though, they kinda remind me of Poodles......
1f606.png
. Not a Poodle fan. Lol

With Orpington it is a hit or miss.....Some can go broody....It depends on the Hen......I have Orpington and never had a Broody yet....I have a Bantam crossed Bantam that is 7 months and has been broody twice in 3 weeks....
Just wait and see though....Now that I mentioned it my Orpingtons will go broody....lol......

I do not have Silkies either....One Broody Bird is enough for me......

Cheers!

With Orpington it is a hit or miss.....Some can go broody....It depends on the Hen......I have Orpington and never had a Broody yet....I have a Bantam crossed Bantam that is 7 months and has been broody twice in 3 weeks....
Just wait and see though....Now that I mentioned it my Orpingtons will go broody....lol......

I do not have Silkies either....One Broody Bird is enough for me......

Cheers!
All breeds of chickens are technically a hit or miss, practically every hen has the possibility of going broody. Like leghorns aren't known for being broodies but that doesn't mean you won't get one that will brood, its just unlikely. Same with Silkies, my friends Silkie hasn't gone broody , but the majority like to brood. Oh, if your Orpingtons go broody I would love to borrow them
lol.png
!

Yes, that is true.......I was only talking about Orpington.....That is why many people choose breeds that have a less chance of Broodiness if they have no desire to have a Rooster or raise Chicks......Original question was about Broody breeds.....
If you were closer I would lend you a broody Orpington.....Fingers crossed my girls remain layers and not broody.....

Cheers!

Game breed hens are noted for broodiness, and can be tough enough to take good care of their chicks. Several bantam breeds tend to broodiness; Belgian d'Uccles, cochins, and Silkies come to mind. My BLR Wyandotte hens have raised several batches of chicks, love it! A larger hen can brood more eggs, an advantage. A big Malay type hen would really be impressive! Mary

Back
Top Bottom