Broodines- is it dangerous?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by assafhes, Feb 16, 2014.

1. assafhes

assafhes New Egg

Sep 21, 2013
    Hi

i have a hen that went broody a couple of days ago.

i wanted to know if it is dangerous in any way for my chicken? she is a mixed-breed and she sits on infertile eggs for lack of a rooster.

I know that a broody hen stops laying eggs and wont run around the yard, but can she die sitting for weeks on eggs that wont hatch?

thanks

2. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    I haven't dealt with very broody hens yet. Some of my leghorns and EE have seemed to go broody only for a bit. That's what I assume since they sit on the eggs even though they already laid theirs and they get upset when another chicken gets close. I think she'll be fine and get up to eat when she needs to. I think someone else will give you a better answer though.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No, she won't die. This is how birds are designed to reproduce. It wouldn't be a very effective method of reproduction if the mother died.

It is, however, a stressor on her body, and if you're not going to have her raise chicks I'd break her. No reason to go through all that for no gain. Plus, breaking her will get her back to laying sooner.

4. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    X2 No chicks, no reason to let her be broody. Like donrae said, broodiness would be pointless if the mother died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by