broodiness of fowl, is it all the same?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by southernsibe, May 10, 2008.

1. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    Lanexa, Virginia
    I have a turkey and a chicken that are "being broody" together. I do not want them to hatch anything, and I have been removing the eggs every day, no matter what. I am getting concerned because they have been doing this for going on for well over 9 weeks. The turkey is loosing weight , but very determined to sit. The chicken is a bantam cochin, and this is the first time she has been broody. She is literally, under the turkey. Usually, the egg(s) are under her, then the turkey is on top of her.

I need some advice on a couple of things. I have three turkey poults that are about 2 weeks old. Should I try to introduce them to the adult hen to see if she takes them?

How do you break a hen from being overly broody? Like I said I am getting a bit concerned for their health. I know they are supposed to leave the nest once a day for food and to poo, but I haven't seen them do that for up to two days. Yesterday I lifted her up and brought her outside. I locked the coop and run so she had to move around a bit. She stretched her wings and walked around a bit, but it didn't last for long. In about 15 minutes she was anxious to go back into the coop.

Thanks
    Rachel

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

9 weeks is pretty long and hard on them. Just lock them out of the coop every day and no matter how much they whine, don't let them in. It shoudl break them in a week or two. As for the baby poults 2 weeks old is probably too old as mom will start with "day one" type of training.

3. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    Lanexa, Virginia
    Does it matter what eggs they sit on as long as they are eggs? I mean, if I gave her an egg to sit on, would it matter if it was a turkey egg, chicken egg or guinea egg? If she wants to hatch one that badly, I can deal with one more poultry family member. The same goes for the bantam hen.
    Rachel

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i would try buying dayolds and putting them under them

5. Telly

Telly New Egg

May 12, 2008
    I have a broody. She's been at it just under three weeks now. I just separated her from the other layers for her safety. I was planning to purchase 4 more chicks and thought if I stuck them under her at night, she would accept them as her own. My question is how can I be sure she will not harm the chicks?

The chicks are easier to find than fertile eggs. So has anyone out there attempted the baby chicks under the broody before and what was the outcome?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by