Broodiness of Ideal's Silkies

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Orange Ribbon, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I understand Ideal's silkies are not the best representation of the breed, but I wondered if they still have the tendency to go broody? I need some good brooders to hatch eggs for me, and since Ideal has good prices figure that might be one way to go. Anyone got any experience with Ideal's silkies? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I have never gotten silkies before but every thing I here and read about them say's there awesome mothers and they get broody a lot.[​IMG]

3. California Gurl

California Gurl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    I ordered 30 something St. Run Silkies in August of last year from Ideal Poultry. I kept 8 of them and they turned out to be all girls, lucky me. Though one hasn't laid any eggs nor crow, but I'm pretty sure it's a girl.

It seemed that a month after laying their very first egg they go broody.
    Well mine sure did and haven't stopped since. 2 of the Silkie went broody once, 3 hatched out their second batch last month, and my very first broody is sitting on her third batch at the moment.

It's actually annoy now just when I think they're done hatching for the year I find another broody(ies) just itching to raise their own.

I think that they are a bad influence on my other hens because not to long I started getting 2 Faverolles, 3 Dark Cornish(1 is sitting on her 2 clutch of eggs at the moment), and 2 Black Australorp that has or is in the process of getting some little ones.

I just started seriously raising Chickens just a year ago and to think I was hoping and praying that I was going to have a broody among the batch of Silkie Chicks I had order specifically to hatch me out some chicks, but I didn't sign up for all the Broodiness that followed and their babies.

So in other words go for it if you want Broodies, but heed my warning you'll soon regret it...[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. Good to know they go broody. I just didn't know if that might have been bred out of them or not. If I get some I have a "broody building" off to itself so there will be no influence on my other birds. After what you described, California Gurl, I think I will start off with a few instead of a bunch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by