Broodiness???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by barred rock'er, May 18, 2008.

1. barred rock'er

barred rock'er Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Hey, I was just wondering how you get a hen to go broody? dod they just decide on their own or are there ways to entice them to take this action?
    I have 3 br hens that I thought might go broody but havent. If I want them to go broody should I stop collecting eggs?
    Matt

2. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Hi, well some people say no way no how you cannot make a hen broody(it is a hormone thing) some say leave a bunch of eggs in the nest and they will go broody. Well I wanted a broody really bad but, I was afraid to leave a bunch of eggs in the nest, what if one got broke and my hens turned in to a bunch of egg eaters. So I bought some really nice wooden eggs and thought I would trick my hens broody;):. N[​IMG]o such luck I had those 12 fake eggs in that nest for two months and all they did was kick them out of the nest. I even went and bought 4 silkie hens to get a broody:heI have had then over a month they still are not broody. And two days after getting the silkies one of my girls went broody I bought eggs off of E-bay and two days before I got them one of my other hens went broody. NOT a silkie. So know I have two broody hens both sitting on 7 eggs. So now I think you cannot trick a hen I think they do it when they want. Some breeds tend to brood more than others. That is just what happened to me. Good luck.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    They go broody when their bodies tell them to. You cannot make a hen go broody and it's hard to stop her from being broody if don't want her to be. (Although there are some tricks that may work to stop a hen from being broody.)

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Rocks are not that broody, in general, especially hatchery BRs. Today's hatchery birds are bred for egglaying and not broodiness. When a hen goes broody, she quits laying, as you know, the main reason most people want chickens.

5. HillCountryMomma

HillCountryMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    [​IMG] Someone needs to tell my barred rock she's not supposed to be broody! She's on day 18 of sitting on 17!!! eggs. She's a mean broody too... bit my hand when I was pulling eggs out a couple days ago to candle them.

Have a jersey black giant that is broody as well, have Rio Grande turkey eggs and Ameraucana eggs under her (staggered).

In my experience you can't make a hen go broody, and it's darn hard to convince them to not be broody when they decide it's time. I really didn't need broody hens right now, but the girls weren't listening to logic. Or begging. Or bribery. So... I caved.

At least with my barred rock/RIR cross I'll be able to sex them right away and can sell the pullets if I want.

Liz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by