broodiness?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeneer45, Jan 24, 2013.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    I just got my chickens back in September and only one of the chickens is laying. I have two roosters. The chicken who is laying lays pretty much daily, but today i went out and she was sitting on her two eggs. i figured she had gone broody, but im not sure because when i let them out to free range she stayed on her eggs for awhile but then she went out too and left the eggs. does this mean she isnt broody? also, i dont really know if i want baby chicks since the eggs could be fertile. so if she is broody, i was wondering if the babies will even survive because it is the middle of winter. any answers would be great since i am just a beginner. also, would it be terrible if i took the eggs while she was out of the coop so she couldnt sit on them anymore? thanks again.

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes a chicken will act broody, but then leave the eggs a day later, or even right before they hatch. Many people put fake or dud eggs under the hen for a week to test how devoted she is. If you don't want her to hatch, then just take her off the nest multiple times a day, and she should get over it.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In the early stages of broodiness some hens will set 'part time'. Once they continue to set overnight they are truly serious. It would not be terrible if you took the eggs. Raising winter chicks can be a bit of crap shoot depending upon the nature of the mother. Understand that if she has been brooding these eggs they may have started developing, and you may not want to eat them.

4. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    All very good information, but it also depends on where you live. With most of the North in the extreme cold and down here North Texas 75 degrees [​IMG] It only takes 21 days for the chicks to hatch and be running a mock, my clutch hatched and it was about 32 out at night and 40s in the day time. It is a miracle to watch good luck either way you decide.

5. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    thanks a lot. also is it possible that she will lay more or will she not lay anymore after these two? also would i need to separate the roosters from her once they hatched? and if i were to take the eggs while she was away would it stop her broodiness? thanks

6. salt and pepper

she may lay a couple more eggs for her brood, but she will not lay after that. and no, taking the eggs away will not break her broodiness, a hen will try to hatch straw when they are broody. many people have just let the chicks grow in the flock without any problems. if the hen is a good mother, then she will protect them.

7. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    thanks again. what do you mean by hatch straw?

8. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    I just locked them up for the night and she didnt lay on the pair so does that mean she isnt broody? i took the eggs too. thanks again

9. salt and pepper

I meant they will try to hatch anything. I would take that as a sign she is not seriously broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by