Broodiness

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mister B, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Mister B

Mister B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2013
    NW Alabama
    I had a chicken I though was going broody. She sat in the nesting box for a while and fought off the other chickens. They had to go use the other box. Anyway, I took extra eggs and slid under her (She pecked the fool out of me!) She sat there all day, getting up once to run out and get a drink of water. Then, about 30 min before I closed the coop, she went out, walked around, ate, drank, did her business. When the rooster said time to go in, she went in and got on her roost. I waited another 15 min, but she never made a move to the eggs. So I collected them. Do they fake broodiness sometimes? Does this mean she is ready to go full on broody soon?

2. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    If she was just seating for a day all day,she could have been fighting to protect the nest SHE was laying in,my hens do this ALL the time.

Check for a bare belly bone (It's under her),and is she overly protective of the nest?

3. Mister B

Mister B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2013
    NW Alabama
    I bet that was it. She seems to be the dominant hen, she is the oldest. She went broody once before, but I think it was in April. At that time there was no rooster and her eggs were not going to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by