Brooding 100 at a time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tiffrz-N-Kidz, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a quick easy to make brooder for 100 chicks.

I currently have them in 3 extra large rabbit cages (34 to a bin) but they have quickly pushed the limit there and rather than adding yet another and another bin increasing the number of feeders and waterers, I'd like to move tehm into something that would hold, say, 50 each and set 2 large waterers and 2 large feeders.

I am pretty handy so can make something, I just need to get a visual, so pictures would be greatly appreciated.

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    My brooder sits in under the shed. It is 12' x 3' x 30." I have 4 lamps in it. I use flood-lamp blubs not heat lamps. The chicks remain in it from the time of hatch until they are 4 weeks of age; at which time the go to an outdoor brooder with one heat lamp.

The bottom is wire, the sides are half wood and half wire. I do cover it with a blanket when below freezing.

This pullet is standing on top of it.
    [​IMG]

some other pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    Thank you all. I need something light and easy to assemble, so the foamboard idea may work. Off to the Home Depot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by