Brooding a Single Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by micah wotring, Jun 4, 2016.

1. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    OK, So, This is my third time ever to try incubating eggs 1st time I was like 9 or 10 and my sister had some chicks in the brooder at the time of hatch so when only 1 out of 40 hatched we just raised them together.
    2nd time was quail 1 out of 17 hatched and it died a couple days later.
    3rd time again only one hatched but this time I don't have any chicks that are anywhere near the same size so I'm stuck raising a singleton.

So, i've heard about the teddy bears and mirrors but what I need to know is how to keep it warm.
    I can't put her in my big watering trough cuz she would get lost and not be able to find food or water.
    If i put her in a small cardboard box how would I keep her warm without roasting her.
    (For now I will refer to it as a her:))

Also, I cant find any chicks anywhere to get for her companionship so I truly am stuck with just her.

Any and all tips are appreciated.

P.S. This thing took me lik ten minutes to type cause I'm keeping her warm with my left hand and typing with my right. :)

Thanks
    MW

2. sprucie

sprucie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2015
    I would try a heating pad. I prefer them to lights

1 person likes this.
  3. njmom

njmom New Egg

Jun 4, 2016
    Hi,Hope this is considered a related question- I have a four week old and 4 3 week old chicks (mixed breeds) that I got from the breeder and have been together since they came home. I'm planning to pick up 1 more chick (same age)from the same breeder. Do I need to isolate the 1 chick for 30 days before introducing her? I keep reading that quarintine is mega important, but so is socialization at this early age. Any/all comments helpful- thanks!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    To the OP, a heating pad cave would be the way to go, and you can roll up a couple pair of sock for "companionship". The chick will snuggle against the socks, thinking they are chicks.

The second post regarding quarantine, no, you don't need to do it since they are all from the same source.

2 people like this.
  5. micah wotring

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Thanks, I'll try that.

I have him/her in a box with a heat lamp right now.

I'll try to get some pics uploaded soon.

MW

6. njmom

njmom New Egg

Jun 4, 2016
    Thanks so much for your reply! I'm making myself sick over the thought of harming my existing flock ( still in the brooder box)

7. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Right now I am brooding a lone silkie chick because none of the other eggs were fertile. This is the set up I have [​IMG]

Just make sure at night it's kind of close to your bed because for my chick he likes to see me otherwise he peeps like crazy. He is two weeks old today!

1 person likes this.
  8. micah wotring

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
  9. micah wotring

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Thank you all for your help anyway.

MW

10. lesjsmith

lesjsmith New Egg

Sep 26, 2014
    Hi: I have 2 Three week old chicks and now have one 2 day old chick. None of my other eggs have hatched and we are on day 25. I have them both sitting next to each other so that baby chick can see the other chicks. She is jumping so high to try and get to the other chicks that I am going to have to cover the top of the bin. How long until I can put the baby chick in with the older ones? I already tried once and the larger one pecked her on the head and I am worried that they will kill the baby.

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by