brooding birds...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fancie, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I am trying to raise chicks earlier than I have ever before. I kinda want to the hens to lay eggs before next year, like the ones I have raised this far, and this way I can have eggs by june or july. The geese can be out weeding the garden from the day the near start, and the ducks can be out on the table or in the freezer the same time as I would be buying them (and at an amazing discount)

Anyway... I am using a room in an old building my parents own. It will be a bird room I am planning on using to raise cage birds. The corner (about a 7 foot by 3 foor section) I am planning to use in the really cold months to brooder birds early before I can do so at my own place (maybe 2 months a year). There is no heat to the building itself, but with a space heater I have raised the temp to 70 - 80 F in the room I am using. I figured this is a fair temp and the brooder light can do the rest, so I turned it on yesterday to try it out put the themomater under it, and checked on it today, 70 F it reads. Can't figure it out till I feel the floor. The floor is pretty cold to the touch. Make since I guess when you figure the basement isn't being heated..

I have another brooding light I could use... maybe set another heater in the room?

I was thinking of throwing in some used carpet in that section, maybe a heating pad underneth... but maybe I'll have to nix the whole idea and do something diffrant.

Any ideas....

P.S. I have about 20 or so ducks to arrive any time this week and 20 or so bantams and 2 geese next week. What ever brooder arrangements need to accompany them all.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  2. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Make you an insulated floor. I put an old foam egg crate under your brooder. Or you could elevate it slightly and put a heating pad under it but I do not feel real safe with that arrangement. A space heater uses loads of electricity and just is generally not safe around chickens and the dust they put off. If possible keep in a house that is heated. The first few weeks they will definitely need more heat than that. Keep in your home for a while. Jean

3. Fancie

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    Thanks, I started looking at the "BROODER thread" and may use an idea from there. I may just have to make the brooding area smaller, and not "part" of the room. I like the dog kennel idea... I'll try that out tonight and see what I can get the temp up to. I'll figure out what I can do. Thanks for your help crazyhen.

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I kept my chicks in my laundry room with heat lamp. Lowered temp each week until week 4. Now they are in the garage with heat lamp and are doing fine. IM sure glad to get them out of my house !

5. Fancie

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    Ducklings are here!! yeah!

[​IMG]

The dog kennel idea worked perfect! It did seem bigger till I put the ducks in.... I might set up another brooders.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by