Brooding Buff Duck Killed, Trying to save eggs. Please Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LCaldwell66, May 15, 2009.

1. LCaldwell66

LCaldwell66 New Egg

May 15, 2009
    Over the past couple of weeks I've lost 5 ducks to a coyote. I'm now keeping all my ducks penned up until the coyote can be trapped and destroyed. (He’s showing rabid behavior). I could not pen up one of my Buff ducks as she had been brooding in a nesting box on my pond. She rarely left the box and never went far when she did. Apparently the coyote got her either early yesterday morning or some time during the night before. I was so upset! I'm not positive of the exact time she started sitting, but it has been almost 3 weeks since I first noticed her on her nest, so I think the eggs are in a very late stage. With help from a neighbor, I removed the eggs and have brought them inside in a homemade incubator I quickly put together. The temp and humidity seems to be where it needs to be. There were 10 eggs total. I candled them all yesterday and there are 4 that have very little light showing through, only a small section where I assume the air sack is. The others all seemed to be at different stages of development. I honestly don't know what this means. This morning I noticed an odor coming from the eggs. One egg is showing some odd seepage spots and one has a long crack in it. Are these the bad eggs? I've never done this before and would sincerely appreciate any help, advice or suggestions.

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    YES THEY ARE BAD!!!!!! Get rid of any seepers or cracked ones immediately. They could BLOW!

Keep watch over the rest. I don't have ducks, so somebody else will have to help...

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Throw out any that smell bad. Cracked ones can still make it if they are alive, but are more likely to perish. At this point you won't see much inside the shell, but if it is really dark and you get the light to shine on the egg just right, you should see veins near the air cell.

Good luck with your incubation. It won't be long now, so hopefully you shouldn't have too many problems. Turn them at least 3 times a day (180 degrees is best). But when you suspect you are 2 days from hatching stop turning. If you guess wrong, just stop turning if you see a pip and they should still hatch ok.

4. LCaldwell66

LCaldwell66 New Egg

May 15, 2009
    Thank you for all your help. I've disposed of the two bad eggs now. The smell was so bad that it was difficult to tell which eggs it was actually coming from.

If anyone has anymore advice on what to expect over the next few days or how to handle anything I really do appreciate all feedback.

Thanks again!
    Lisa

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

sorry about your broody loss; I hope the others hatch. And BTW, welcome! [​IMG]

6. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Raise the humidity in the last few days of the incubation . . . the details are escaping me at the moment, but the information is here on the forum . . . there is a specific thread about hatching ducklings somewhere or other, if you search for "hatching ducklings" you will probably find it. Happy Hatching!

Yes, I am sorry you lost your poor broody duck. It is sad to see them die before they can complete their life cycle. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by