Brooding chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kaleb kirkland, Aug 27, 2016.

1. kaleb kirkland

kaleb kirkland Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    will brooding chicken stop brooding if they get chicks

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some breeds are intensely broody, and after one set of chicks is on their own, they go right back to trying to hatch out more eggs.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kaleb kirkland, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community. Best of luck with your broody hen.

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. Giving a hen chicks can break her of broodiness, however in some cases she may reject and kill the chicks. It will depend on the hen. The chicks must be young (1-3 days) for introduction to be successful.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. LaurasLeonard

LaurasLeonard Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    Murrieta ca
    How do I know if my hens want to brood??? I pick up the eggs daily, maybe I'm not giving them a chance. Thanks

8. LaurasLeonard

LaurasLeonard Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    Murrieta ca
    How do I know if my hens want to brood??? I pick up the eggs daily, maybe I'm not giving them a chance. Thanks

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy LaurasLeonard

Some hens will go broody and some will not. While leaving the eggs in the nest may encourage a hen who is in the early stages of going broody; if a hen is not prone to going broody, no amount of eggs in the nest box is going to turn her.

If a hen is broody she will sit on whatever she can, including an empty nest, a rock, a fake egg; pretty much anything [​IMG]

Usually, with broodies, there is no doubt as to whether they are broody or not.

Some signs that a hen is broody are:
    Sitting in the nest box for an extended period of time; only taking a break once or twice a day to have something to eat and drink and deposit a huge and rather smelly broody poop.
    Fluffing up and/or screeching and pecking if you try to move her.
    Stealing or gathering eggs from another nest box and sitting on them.
    Choosing to sleep in the nest box rather than on the roost.
    Constantly running back to the nest box no matter how many times you move her [not to be mistaken for actually wanting to lay an egg].

One way to test if a hen on the nest is broody is to place an egg in front of her; if she rolls it under and snuggles onto it, you likely have a broody.

I have some serious broodies [​IMG]

Planking because she can not actually get to the nest:
    [​IMG]

Trying to break into the coop:
    [​IMG]

Fluffing up:
    [​IMG]

10. Lindastev

Lindastev Just Hatched

May 15, 2016
    I think I have my 1st brooding hen! The nests are raised so do I need to put her on the floor in a somewhat protected area? I worry that she won't eat and drink. How many days will she set on her eggs? Any suggestions wound be great thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by