Brooding chicks outdoors?

MonicainAZ

Chirping
May 21, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hi peeps, I am going to be getting some new chicks soon and I have been wondering about brooding them outside? I live in Phoenix, and the temps these days are ~85 for high, ~60 for the low. If they have a heat lamp and some shelter, will they be ok? The chickens I have now, I brooded in the garage. But I'm thinking outside may be more convenient (and husband-friendly), and hopefully speed their introduction into the flock if I put them in a dog crate (or similar) outside next to the coop. Thoughts??

Oh, do I love your instincts! Yes, indeedy! You sure can brood outdoors.

But skip the heat lamp! In your climate, it would be overkill, and the danger inherent in these heat lamps is just not worth it.

Consider, instead, brooding under the heat pad system. Much, much safer, and the chicks will have the option of sleeping under it or on top of the "cave". Go to the thread on this forum "Mama Heating Pad for the Brooder." It will show you how to set it up. Just read the first three or four pages if that's all the time you have.

I used the heat pad system this last summer with huge success and brooded right in my run. You can see how I did it by clicking on the link below under "Articles" the one on outdoor brooding.

Back
Top Bottom