Brooding Chicks

noodlesluvspie

Hatching
Dec 30, 2016
Hi! I've decided to start hatching Coturnix quails and I have a question if someone would be kind enough to help me out! So, I know how to brood chickens and I was wondering if the quail brooding process it the same as chickens? If not, what exactly is different and what do I need to do? I want to provide the best possible start to life for these babies! Thanks for your help!

I brooded mine the same as chickens.

I heard that a white light could be bad for them causing pecking and cannibalism.

so I brooded under red just to be safe and had no issues.

but last year was my first time to hatch and brood quail so I'm still learning myself.

For my quail I lined the bottom of the brooder with a towel for better traction (cedar chips are to large and newspapers are to slippery). I also ground the chicken starter down and mixed in ground meal worms. I only ground the food down for the first week or so just to give them a kick start. I also added electrolyte powder into the water. And for lighting I also use a red bulb.

Last edited:
Make sure that the source of water is not to deep quail babies can easily drown a chicken chick watering system will not do. Use a quail made water system or a little dish no depper then a pinkies finger nail, place mables in the dish so they cannot get completely wet too.

Last edited:
Prepare to be amazed at their speed of development. It's crazy how fast they grow! You think chicken chicks grow fast, just you wait!

I've never had problems using incandescent bulbs but it depends on your chicks I suppose. Initially use a towel or paper towels under them and scatter food everywhere so wherever they peck they will find food. After a few days they will recognise what is food and find it in a dish.

Teach them where the water is by paddling your fingers in it. They are attracted by the movement. Don't jam so many marbles in the water dish that they can't make a bit of a space to drink. Once they are about 5 days old you should be able to swap to a chick waterer.

I like using straw for bedding once they can find their food as poop falls through it. Quail poop isn't as wet as chicken poop. They still make lots though! They throw themselves into reverse before they poop - it's quite funny.

Above all enjoy the little cuties!

Back
Top Bottom