Brooding Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Walder Farm, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Walder Farm

Walder Farm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    I ordered 8 chicks to come in a couple weeks. 2 are bantam cochins and the rest are black australorps, easter eggers, and an ancona rooster. Can they all go in the same brooder?

2. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    I wouldn't see why not. Maybe watch the bantums because they are smaller. I've had a silkie in with EE's and GLW babies. They all got a long. Depends on how many you got and how big the brooder is. I got my silkie from TSC because it was being pecked to death by all the other chicks. It was the only one if a bin of like 50. If they are all together from the start I don't see any problem.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have brooded both standard and bantam breed chicks together. For the first couple of days, I kept a real close watch on the bantam chicks just to make sure they were not being kept from feed and water by the larger chicks, and adding a second feeder and waterer helps solve that problem (if you have a large enough brooder bin). I've discovered the banty chicks are quite able to hold their own, as they can sneak in under the larger chicks and they are really, really agile. After the first week, there was never any problem whatsoever. Big chicks, little chicks, all co-existing just fine.

As it is in my main flock. [​IMG]

4. Walder Farm

Walder Farm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    ok thanks and do you think i will have to worry about the cochins being frizzles and being picked on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by