Brooding Ducklings and Chicks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Broodica, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Broodica

Broodica Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I am a total newbie - both on here and in chick/duckling raising. We have 5 chicks and 2 ducklings set to arrive Sept 3. My husband is building the "Palace" and I am taking care of the brooder. We are planning on having the chickens and ducks hanging around together. We have quite a large open area, so we are building separate houses for them within the coop and the ducks will have a pool area tucked away from the chickens, but they will share the same run area during the day.....

Consequently, we would like to ensure that the chicks and ducks are brooded together so there are no 'issues' when we put them together in the coop. From what I have read, most people say do not brood them together because the ducklings are so messy and the chicks need to remain dry and the ducklings grow faster and bigger and could overwhelm the chicks. Not to mention they need different food when younger. So what we are thinking is....

Building a brooder that is big enough for the chicks and ducklings and then separate them with 4 mesh hardware cloth so they can see each other and interact, but are physically apart. We thought we could put the heat light over the mesh separation area so when they cuddle under it, they could sort of be huddled together. Food and water would be kept at the opposite ends of each side and we would be extra diligent about ensuring the duck side stays dry.

Waddaya think? Would this work? Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Everytime I have ducklings they jump, poop, tip over their water so the best thing that you can do (which will also benifit the chicks) is get one of those small water feeders (dont haveta keep filling it up) - they have a bottle which stores the water and small holes the water will come out of onto a small planstic plate that will fill to a certain level... the lid unscrews to fill up the bottle and usually a duck or chick can only fit their beak in, rather than their whole body. It keeps it clean and the weight of the water in the bottle prevents it from being tipped over...
    Im not sure I did a good job explaining this, or if you already know about it [​IMG] I'll get a pic from the net if you don't understand what I tried to say [​IMG]

I've seen ducklings and chicks together in people's brooders, but haven't done it myself - the needing different food would be a problem.
    I think your mesh idea is pretty good. Save having lots of different brooders, too.

Also I kept six chooks and two ducks together in a pen and free ranged them - introduced them as adults and completely no problems at all. They hang out together, and the chooks just go up a ramp onto a roost inside the coop where as the ducks stay on the
    hay-covered floor. So I don't think you need to be too worried about your chicks and ducks getting along [​IMG] they'll be perfect if they're raised together, too.

Good luck with your ducks and chooks, sounds like its going to be a lot of fun [​IMG]

3. Broodica

Broodica Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thanks for the advice, Birdcrazy. We will take your advice about the water bottle. Once they are able, we will be taking the ducklings out for water-time each day. The chick and duckling feed will be completely separated at either end of the brooder and with the mesh in-between, I don't see any chance of it getting mixed up.

Well, we're going to give it a try and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, we'll separate them completely. I'll let you know how it goes. We are so excited about getting our new 'babies'!

Thanks for the reply!

4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Never Mind [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  5. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:Would luv to see some pics when ya do get 'em! [​IMG]